Driving is a necessary skill if you live in Dubai. However, if you’ve been putting off the idea of applying for a driving license because you don’t have the time to travel to a driving institute location and wait in line to register for classes, you can now finish the process in a few minutes online.
The “Click and Drive” project was introduced by Dubai’s Road and Transport Authority (RTA), which enables customers to register online, choose their chosen driving school, and pay for the training packages in person.
Here is a comprehensive step-by-step instruction on how to begin the process of obtaining a driving license in Dubai.
How to apply for ‘Click and drive’
- Visit this link: https://www.rta.ae/wps/portal/rta/ae/home/rta-services/service-details?serviceId=3704255 and click on the red button, ‘Apply Now’.
- The application will first inquire as to whether you possess a driver’s license from another nation. Pick either “yes” or “no.”
- Depending on your response, the following things will happen:
- You might be able to convert your existing driving license from a given country to a UAE driving license. The service is offered for driving licenses that various nations issue to their citizens.
- You must sign up for driving lessons if you hold a driver’s license from a nation that isn’t on the list. However, given your prior driving expertise, you might be able to sign up for fewer driving classes.
- If you choose “no” and do not have a driver’s license from another nation, you will also need to sign up for driving lessons.
- Next, select the driving license category:
- Light Vehicle Automatic
- Light Vehicle (Manual)
- Heavy vehicle
- The application will then outline the courses and exams you must complete in order to obtain a driver’s license. These consist of:
- Eye Test
- Eight-hour theory lectures
- Knowledge test
- Practical training – 20 hours
- Yard test
- Road test
Your driving license will be issued after you have completed the classes and passed all the tests.
- The application will then provide you with the lowest anticipated pricing for the driving lessons offered by RTA based on the data you have entered. The most affordable package from a driving school for beginners will run you about Dh3,865.
- After that, input the expiration date and Emirates ID number and press the “proceed” button.
- Then, enter your mobile number. Your mobile number might not always match your Emirates ID. You will have the choice to enter your own mobile number into the application. You must input both your cellphone number and the Unified number found on your UAE residence visa to do this. Your personal cellphone number will be registered by RTA once you have entered the information.
- RTA will issue a one-time password (OTP) to your registered mobile number through SMS after you submit your mobile number. Enter and validate the OTP.
- The application will then display your personal information, which will include your employer and sponsor. Select your favorite language and type in your email address.
- Next, select the branch of the driving institute you want to enroll in by clicking “proceed.” Following your branch selection, the driving school will get in touch with you and give you details on the training options.
You must be present at the driving institute branch after completing the online application in order to pay the fees and open the learning file. The next step is to have an eye exam at one of the RTA-approved optical shops or centers. You will receive digital learning permission via SMS and email to begin the course after passing the eye test.