Are you tired of dealing with those tiny SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) cards? Well, it’s time to embrace the future with an eSIM, the virtual alternative that is directly embedded in your smartphone. The good news is that you can now switch your physical SIM for an eSIM free of charge, due to UAE-based telecom providers – Etisalat by e& and du.
Now, let’s dive into all the essential information you need to know about this exciting development.
Advantages of switching to an eSIM:
- Say goodbye to physical SIM cards: eSIMs are virtual, eliminating the need for a physical card. This means no more struggling with tiny trays or fretting about misplacing your SIM.
- Manage multiple phone numbers: You can now effortlessly handle multiple numbers on a single device.
- Enjoy enhanced flexibility: Switching between different mobile plans or carriers is now a breeze, without the hassle of obtaining a new physical SIM. Perfect for dual SIM users or frequent travelers.
- Embrace eco-friendliness: Opting for an eSIM also contributes to reducing plastic waste.
Ready to make the switch? Here’s what you need to do:
1. Check compatibility:
Ensure that your phone is compatible with eSIM technology. This feature is available on the latest iPhone models, certain Android devices, and other gadgets such as smartwatches. To determine if your smartphone supports eSIMs, navigate to the network or cellular settings in your device’s menu.
2. Download your telecom provider’s app and have a UAE Pass account:
1. For etisalat by e& users:
You can easily switch to an eSIM by using the ‘My Etisalat’ app and logging in with your UAE PASS account. This convenient method eliminates the need to visit a store or customer center. The UAE Pass serves as the authorized digital identity for both citizens and residents, and it is seamlessly connected to your Emirates ID.
- To apply for an eSIM, follow these steps after creating your UAE Pass account. You can find the steps on the Etisalat by e& website – www.etisalat.ae.
- Begin by logging into the My Etisalat UAE App using the phone on which you want to activate the eSIM.
- On the app’s homepage, locate and tap on the ‘Manage’ option.
- Within the ‘SIM Cards’ section, select the SIM card you wish to transfer.
- Look for the ‘Replace SIM/Switch to eSIM’ option and choose it.
- Next, indicate your preference to switch to an eSIM by selecting ‘I want to switch to eSIM’ and then tap on ‘Continue’.
- Proceed by tapping on ‘Continue with UAE Pass’ and grant the app access to your Emirates ID.
- Review and agree to the terms and conditions, then tap on ‘Confirm’. Your request will be approved within a few minutes.
2. For du users:
Here are the steps to convert your physical SIM into an eSIM, according to du:
- Open the du app and tap on the three dots located next to your current plan.
2. Choose ‘Manage SIM’ from the available options.
3. Select the number you wish to convert to an eSIM.
4. Verify your identity by using your UAE Pass.
5. Grant the app permission to access your Emirates ID through the UAE Pass app.
6. Agree to the terms and conditions, then tap on ‘Convert to eSIM’.
Once your request is confirmed, the eSIM will be officially installed. You will need to activate the eSIM in your phone’s settings.
Please note that the offer for free eSIM activation is only available for a limited time for du and etisalat by e& customers.
By following these steps, you can easily convert your physical SIM into a more convenient and flexible eSIM. Enjoy the benefits of a digital SIM card without the hassle of carrying a physical one.
3. Virgin Mobile:
According to the official Virgin Mobile website, there are no additional fees associated with activating the eSIM. However, the process for switching to an eSIM may differ depending on the type of phone you own.
For iOS users, the eSIM service can be activated conveniently through the dedicated ‘Virgin Mobile UAE’ app.
On the other hand, Android users are advised to seek assistance by visiting a Virgin Mobile store for a seamless transition to an eSIM.
3. Activate the eSIM:
After your mobile service provider approves your request for an eSIM, which typically takes just a few minutes, you will receive detailed instructions on how to configure the eSIM on your phone.