In the United Arab Emirates, individuals holding driving licenses from over 40 countries can easily convert their existing license to a UAE driving license. However, what happens if your country of origin is not included on this list?
Fortunately, the Dubai Road and Transport Authority (RTA) has recently launched the ‘Golden Chance’ initiative, which provides expatriates with the opportunity to take a road test without the need to attend driving lessons.
Previously, individuals whose licenses were not eligible for automatic conversion had to undergo driving lessons before taking the test. This new initiative eliminates the need for such lessons, making the process more efficient and convenient for expatriates.
If you find yourself in this situation, take advantage of the ‘Golden Chance’ initiative and convert your license with ease. The RTA has provided all the necessary details to ensure a smooth and hassle-free process.
How to find out if you are eligible for a ‘Golden Chance’ test in Dubai?
To determine your eligibility for a new driving license based on exchanging licenses, RTA offers a convenient online service. Simply visit the RTA website and access the ‘Apply for a New Driving Licence Based on Exchanging Licences’ feature. This user-friendly tool will guide you through the process and provide you with the necessary information to obtain your new license. Don’t waste any more time waiting in long lines or dealing with confusing paperwork. Let RTA’s online service simplify the process for you.
Step 1: Enter your details on the RTA website:
- To begin the process of applying for service with the RTA, start by visiting their official website through this link: https://www.rta.ae/wps/portal/rta/ae/home/rta-services/service-details?serviceId=3704306. Once there, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button to get started.
- You will then be prompted to enter your Emirates ID and its expiry date. After that, enter your mobile number and wait for the One-Time Password (OTP) to be sent to you via SMS on your mobile phone.
- Once you have entered the OTP, you will be able to view your personal information, including your full name, sponsor’s name, profession, and contact details. Make sure to confirm all the details by clicking on ‘Continue’.
- By following these simple steps, you can easily apply for any service with the RTA. Don’t hesitate to reach out to their customer service team if you have any questions or concerns.
Step 2: Enter your previous license details
- To begin the process of converting your foreign driving license, you will first be prompted to indicate whether or not you currently possess a driving license. Simply select “Yes” or “No” to proceed.
- Next, you will need to select the country that issued your driving license from the drop-down menu.
- Once you have done so, you will be prompted to enter your license details, including the license
- category, issue date, and expiry date. Additionally, you will need to indicate whether or not you currently have possession of your license and provide your nationality.
- After completing these steps, click “Next” to proceed to the next stage of the process. Here, you will need to select your driving license category, specifically “Light Motor Vehicle.”
- If the country that issued your license is not eligible for automatic conversion, you will be presented with two options to choose from.
- The first option, “Golden Chance,” allows you to take a road test and knowledge (theory) test without attending driving classes.
- However, please note that you only get one chance to do so. The second option, “Normal Stage,” requires you to attend driving lectures and practical classes followed by driving tests. The number of classes required may vary based on your driving experience.
- By following these steps, you can successfully convert your foreign driving license and begin driving legally in your new country.
How you can apply for the Golden Chance test?
If you’re looking to obtain a driving license in Dubai, the RTA website offers a ‘Golden Chance’ test option. This option is available to those who meet the eligibility criteria and is a great way to fast-track the process. Here’s what you need to know:
Firstly, you’ll need to complete an eye test at any optical shop in the UAE that’s registered with the RTA. Once you’ve passed this test, you’ll need to visit one of the registered driving institutes in Dubai to take a knowledge test, also known as the theory test. This test covers topics such as road signs, rules for driving on highways and busy junctions, and how to handle road hazards.
Once you’ve passed the knowledge test, you can then book your ‘Golden Chance’ road test. This is the final step in the process, and upon passing, your driving license will be issued and will be valid for two years. After the first renewal, your driving license will be valid for five years.
It’s important to note that this option is only available to those who meet the eligibility criteria, so be sure to check the RTA website for more information. With this option, you can save time and get on the road faster.
As per the official RTA website, the estimated cost for obtaining a driving license is Dh2,000. However, it is important to note that the final price may vary depending on the specific details of your driving license and the driving school you choose to attend. It is recommended that you thoroughly research and compare different driving schools to ensure that you receive the best value for your investment. Additionally, it may be beneficial to consult with a professional to determine the most cost-effective options for obtaining your license.
List of driving schools in Dubai
- Al Ahli Driving Centre
2. Belhasa Driving Centre
3. Dubai Driving Centre
4. Dubai International Driving Centre (Drive Dubai)
5. Galadari Motor Driving Centre
6. Emirates Driving Institute
7. Emirates Transport Driving Institute
8. Excellence Driving Centre
9. Bin Yaber Driving Centre
10. Bin Yaber Driving Centre
11. Eco-Drive Driving Institute
What happens if one fails the test?
Aspiring drivers in Dubai, take note: you have one shot at taking the direct road test without attending driving classes. If you don’t pass, you’ll have to go through the standard process for acquiring a license, which involves attending practical and theory lessons, as well as taking tests. Don’t miss your chance to skip the classes and ace the test on your first try!