Residents of the UAE will soon be unable to show their residency status on their passports. You may be asking how you can prove your residency after the announcement last month that visa stickers on passports will be replaced by Emirates IDs.
While citizens were previously expected to present copies of their passport’s ‘visa page’ as a basic requirement for most official documentation in the UAE, how can you furnish details of your residency status now that the sticker is no longer issued? The Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Ports Security (ICP) offers UAE residents the following options:
1. Emirates ID:
ICP began replacing resident visa stickers with Emirates IDs on April 11. ICP confirmed that Emirates IDs would be used as primary proof of residency for expatriates in the announcement. ICP announced the debut of a new generation of Emirates IDs last year, with a 10-year service life duration. The advanced version not only contains all of the information previously contained on your residency visa sticker, but it also contains additional information such as your personal and professional data, issuing authority and population group, and ‘non-visible data,’ which is protected by an enhanced security system and can be read through the ICP’s e-link system.
2. Digital visa sticker
The classic pink-colored sticker is still available, but only in digital form, via the official UAE ICP app. Follow these procedures to get your digital visa sticker:
- Get the UAEICP app, which is available for both Apple and Android devices.
- Log in using your UAE Pass account or create a new ICP account.
- After you’ve enrolled, the app will show you your residency information.
- If you’re sponsoring a family member or a domestic worker, the dependents on your sponsorship will have their accounts connected to yours, and you’ll have access to their information.
- You’ll see an icon that looks like a document wallet at the bottom of the screen. You may obtain the digital copy of the Emirates ID as well as the residence sticker by tapping on the icon.
- Tap on the download icon next to your residency visa sticker.
- You can then download the visa sticker or share it with someone via Whatsapp, Email, or other platforms.
3. Printed residency document
You can also print your residency information from the ICP website. This service delivers a residency certificate stamped by the authority.
Follow these steps to obtain a residency report:
- Go to icp.gov.ae and log in to your account.
- Select the immigration department that issued your visa by clicking on ‘Department’ (Dubai GDRFA, Sharjah, etc.)
- Select ‘Other services’ from the ‘Module’ section.
- Select’reports’ from the service section.
- Select ‘Residence details’ from the subservice area.
- Under service action, choose ‘print.’
- You must then choose the person whose residence report you require. If you have dependents under your sponsorship, they will appear as alternatives for you to select. If not, choose your home file.
By clicking the print icon on the right of the file, you may select the residence file.
- Verify the individual’s information on the ICP system.
- Complete the transaction.
- ICP will send you the residency report once you have made the payment.
Request fees – Dh50
E-services fees – Dh29.40
ICA fees – Dh22
Total – Dh101.40