Those who reside in the UAE are aware that driving is a necessary component of daily life. A proper driving licence is essential in a nation known for its developed infrastructure and strict driving laws. For that, you must become familiar with the renewal procedure for a driving licence in Dubai. Here is a step-by-step instruction sheet for renewing your licence.
Who is Eligible for Dubai Driving Licence?
Prior to going into the renewal procedure, it’s critical to understand who is qualified to obtain a driving licence in Dubai. Residents of Dubai who are at least 21 years old can obtain a driving licence in accordance with RTA regulations.
Residents under the age of 21 may apply for a probationary licence to drive. Six months after receiving your initial learner’s permit, you can apply to take a driving test.
What Documents Are Required?
In Dubai, the following documents are necessary for driving licence renewals:
- For applicants older than 21, a genuine, valid Emirates ID
- For applicants older than 21, an eye test in accordance with RTA guidelines is required.
- For applicants under the age of 21, an authentic Emirates ID
What are the Service Charges for Dubai Driving Licence Renewal?
The cost to renew a driver’s licence in Dubai varies. AED 300 is the renewal charge for a Dubai driver’s licence for those who are older than 21. AED 20 in knowledge and innovation fees is one of the additional costs. Customers under the age of 21 must pay AED 20 in Knowledge and Innovation fees in addition to AED 100 for licence renewal.
What are the Penalties for Delay in Dubai Driving Licence Renewal?
For every month that the renewal of your Dubai driver’s licence is delayed, you will be charged AED 10. Delay in renewal may result in a maximum fine of AED 500. If the applicant’s driving licence has been expired for more than ten years, they can only renew it after passing the required road test.
What is the Procedure for Driver’s Licence Renewal in Dubai?
The RTA has offered several online options for renewing driving licences in Dubai. Here are some of the channels you can use.
RTA DUBAI OFFICIAL WEBSITE
A comprehensive and user-friendly facility is available for online Dubai licence renewal on the RTA’s official website. Simply follow these procedures to apply for a new licence or to renew one you already have:
- The applicant must go through a required eye test at one of the eye test centers.
- Go through the Driver and Car Owner Services tab on the RTA website.
- To access numerous services linked to renewing your Dubai driver’s licence, click on the Driving Licence Services tab.
- Upload each of the necessary documents.
- Pay all required fees and fines, if any.
- In the meanwhile, you will receive a temporary driver’s licence that you can print out and use.
- The temporary permit is valid for five to fifteen working days.
- Get your licence at the Happiness Centers in Al Barsha or Deira.
- You can also pay AED 25 in additional shipping fees to have your new licence sent.
DUBAI DRIVE APP
You may easily renew your driver’s licence with the RTA Dubai Drive App. Both Android and iOS users can download the app.
THROUGH THE RTA CALL CENTRE
Additionally, you can apply for a driver’s licence renewal through the official RTA Call Center. The many steps are listed below:
Speak with a representative at the RTA contact centre at 8009090 about renewing your licence.
- Give the person the number on your RTA driver’s licence.
- Utilize a credit card to pay the penalties or fees.
- Get a temporary licence through email.
- The temporary permit is good for five to fifteen working days.
- Get your licence at the Happiness Centers in Al Barsha or Deira.
- Obtain delivery of your licence by paying AED 25 in additional shipping costs.
In Dubai, there are numerous locations to renew a driver’s licence. Some of these facilities also have eye testing capabilities. Renewal of a driver’s licence is a simple process. All you have to do is go to any eye testing facility and have your eyes examined. Apply for a driver’s licence renewal as soon as your tests are successful. Pay all penalties and costs that are due. From any Customer Happiness Center, print a copy of the temporary licence. The following is a list of customer satisfaction centres:
- Customer Happiness Centre – Umm Ramool (Eye testing facility not available)
- Customer Happiness Centre – Al Manarah (Eye testing facility available)
- Customer Happiness Centre – Al Towar (Eye testing facility available)
- Customer Happiness Centre – Deira (Eye testing facility available)
- Customer Happiness Centre – Al Barsha (Eye testing facility available)
- Customer Happiness Centre – Al Kifaf (Eye testing facility not available)
- Customer Happiness Centre – Al Aweer (Eye testing facility not available)
- Hatta Tasjeel Centre.
Apply for Dubai Driving Licence Renewal From Kiosks
Another choice is to apply for a driving licence renewal at the RTA kiosks, in addition to online services and RTA Service Centers located all across Dubai. The process for renewing a licence at a kiosk is the same as the process at Service Centers. Here are all the Dubai driver’s licence renewal kiosks.
- Customer Happiness Centre in Umm Ramool
- Customer Happiness Centre in Deira
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Barsha
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Manarah
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Towar
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Aweer
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Kifaf
- Speed Fit
- Tasjeel Al Tawar
- Barsha Tasjeel
- Quick Cars Testing
- Muhaisna Shamil
- Tamam Vehicle Testing
- Al Qusais Tasjeel
- Wasel Belhasa
Where Are the Eye Test Centres Located?
The procedure for renewing your driving licence in Dubai requires an eye exam. The many eye test locations in Dubai are listed below.
- Dubai Optical
- Yateem Optician
- Malak Typing – Photocopying & Optical
- Emirates Driving Institute – Eye Test
- Salik Optical
- Barakat Optical
- Belhasa Driving Centre – Eye Test
- Al Jaber Optical Centre
- Executive Optical Centre
- International Optical
- Leen Optics
- Grand Optics
- Rivoli Eye Zone
What is the Processing Time and Validity?
In Dubai, the processing period for renewing a driver’s licence takes, on average, 3 to 5 working days. For applicants under the age of 21, the driver’s licence is valid for one year. For Emirati citizens, a driver’s licence is valid for 10 years if they are 21 or older. For residents and other GCC nationals, the licence is good for five years.
That concludes our overview of the Dubai driving licence renewal process. Read our in-depth guide on getting a new driving licence in Dubai if you wish to do so. Anyone who travels regularly needs an international driving licence. With our comprehensive guide to international licences in Dubai, learn how to apply for one. We have provided several convenient alternatives for you to renew your licence. Visit our comprehensive RTA Dubai guide to learn more about additional services and the amenities provided by RTA.