Dubai Electricity and Water Authority or DEWA is the provider of water and electricity in the emirates. There are chances that you have a DEWA account in your name, whether you are living in an apartment or Villa in Dubai. Hence, it is one of the crucial steps to cancel your DEWA subscription before you move to another city or home, in order to avoid any financial repercussions.
Read on to find out how to disconnect the DEWA connection online.
How to disconnect the DEWA connection?
DEWA deactivation can be achieved online or through any of the DEWA Customer Happiness Centers.
Online DEWA disconnection:
On online procedures also you can choose from two options i.e. with or without login.
Deactivation of DEWA with login(those who have DEWA user ID or UAE Pass):
- Visit the DEWA website
- Login to your account.
- Insert the 10-digit DEWA contract account number. (in case of multiple accounts – insert the number for which request has to be made).
- Pay the outstanding bill(through credit or debit card).
- After payment, select the moving out date and provide your active contact number (so that the DEWA representative can contact you if needed).
- Choose the payment mode of your DEWA security deposit refund at this stage.
- Once this process is complete, a move-out notification number will be issued and sent through email or SMS.(use this number for further official correspondence).
The supply will be deactivated on the selected date of moving out and the final reading will be noted.
Deactivation of DEWA without login:(If you are not registered or don’t have access to the login details of DEWA)
- Visit the official site
- Click on Deactivation of Electricity/Water (move-out)
- From the left-hand sidebar, choose ‘Apply Online(without login)’
- Enter your 10-digit DEWA contract number and your 9-digit DEWA premises number.
- Now, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number or email id.
- Once logged in, the further steps are the same as above like pay the bill, choose the date of moving out, select the DEWA security deposit refund method.
If the final move-out date is in the future, you are required to pay the final bill later, which will be issued within 24-hours of the selected date. The final bill could be covered with the security deposit.
DEWA disconnection requirements also include an authorization letter, which is required to be signed and stamped.
In-person DEWA deactivation process:
- Visit the DEWA Customer Happiness Centre.
- Provide customer account number
- Date of disconnection
- Mobile number (UAE’s number only)
- Emirates ID
- Or one can use the fax number also in order to apply for the deactivation of DEWA.
Once your request is registered, you will receive a link to select the refund option with the ‘move-out notification number’.
DEWA deactivation fees:
- For small meters you are required to pay: AED 100
- For large meters you are required to pay: AED 300
- Knowledge fee: AED 10
- Innovation fee: AED 10
- 50% discount on DEWA disconnection charges for Thukher and Sanad cardholders.
Transferring your DEWA account:
In order to transfer your DEWA account online, you are required to provide your new house’s Ejari number and the premises number. One can transfer a DEWA account via DEWA Move to Service. DEWA Move to Service keeps the track of the whole process of transferring the connection from one place to another.
After filling in all the information you will be provided with the status tracking number. And after completion, you will receive a welcome SMS and a mail along with the link to the online login.
One can transfer the DEWA security deposit from their old DEWA account to the new one. But if the fund is insufficient then they will have to pay the required money in order to make up the difference. You will get the water and electricity supply once the security deposit has been paid.