Is your lease contract about to expire? If that’s the case, you may have already gotten notice from your property management business or the Land Department that your contract has to be renewed. Here’s all you need to know about the procedure and how much it can cost you if you’re unsure.
Your landlord will notify you three months before your lease is up for renewal if the rent will be increased for the next year. This is a provision of Dubai’s rental law, Dubai Law No. 26 of 2007, which regulates landlord-tenant relations in the Emirate of Dubai.
If the landlord does not deliver the notice of a rent increase within 90 days, the landlord is not permitted to raise the rent.
They cannot increase the rent if they miss this notification by even one day.
So, if the rent on your apartment or villa has not increased, or if you have agreed to an increase in rent, you will need to renew your contract. Follow these steps to do so:
– Make arrangements with your landlord or real estate agent to submit post-dated checks for the future year. The number of checks you can break the annual rent into and if you have to pay any money in cash will be determined by the company’s policies and your rental agreement.
– Get the receipt – After submitting the cheques, always collect the receipt because you may not receive the renewed contract from the agent the same day.
You will receive the revised contract once the landlord signs it as well.
– Register the Ejari – After that, the new contract must be registered. In Dubai, this procedure is known as Ejari. The registration fee for Ejari is Dh155.
How to renew your rental contract in Abu Dhabi
The Tamm website, which is the official website for Abu Dhabi government services, allows you to renew your lease term online in Abu Dhabi. According to Tamm, the steps to renew the contract are as follows:
– Use your UAEPass to log in.
– Select the contract and double-check the premise information.
– Provide contact details and, if necessary, provide documentation.
– Act as the landlord when reviewing the contract.
– Pay the required fees (approximately Dh100).
– Receive final approval and contract download.
How to renew your rental contract in Sharjah
You can renew your lease contract through your real estate agency or a typing center in Sharjah. The policies of your building management will determine who you approach for the renewal process. These are the measures you must take whether you apply for the renewal directly with the landlord, through a real estate agent, or through a Public Relations Officer (PRO).
– Sign the contract — the agent will first give you the renewal contract, which you must sign.
– Submit the post-dated cheques – as required by your contract, you must submit the cheques as well as any cash payments. The agent will then make certain that the landlord signs the contract as well.
– Visit Sharjah Municipality to renew the contract – once you’ve gotten the signed contract from the agent, you’ll need to pay the renewal fees at Sharjah Municipality.
Cost of renewal
Renewal fees – 4% of the entire annual rent.
Dh177 for municipal charges
You may also be required to pay a fee to the property management organization for PRO services or maintenance charges.
The municipality will attest to the renewed contract when you complete the payment.
How to renew your rental contract in Ajman
If your tenancy term in Ajman has ended, you can request a renewal directly with your real estate agency. According to Waqar Ahmed, a real estate agent with Ajman Properties, real estate agents handle the majority of the renewal procedure.
– Pay a visit to your real estate agent: Depending on your contract, the agent will accept renewal checks or cash payments. If your rent is paid in four installments, your contract may stipulate that the first installment be paid in cash. You may be required to hand over cash and checks to the agent, depending on the terms of your contract.
– Sign the contract: The contract must be signed by both the tenant and the landlord, and it will be processed by the Ajman Sewerage Department and the Ajman Municipality.
– Pay the sewerage account renewal fees: After paying the renewal payments, the agent will contact the sewerage department to renew the sewerage account. The department will subsequently give the municipality a No Objection Certificate (NOC) allowing them to renew the contract.
– Wait for the Ajman Municipality to send you a link to pay your fees: The agent then uploads the NOC to the Ajman Municipality portal, together with the tenant and landlord IDs.
You will receive an email with a link to pay the renewal fees once the agent has completed this procedure.
– Download the renewed contract: After making a payment, the contract will be renewed in seconds and can be downloaded.
A contract renewal costs 2% of the total annual rent.