The literal meaning of Bur Dubai is ‘mainland Dubai’. Bur Dubai is a historical district located on the western side of Dubai Creek. Earlier, an Abra (a traditional wooden boat) was used to carry people from either side but now the two neighborhoods (Bur Dubai and Deira) are connected with the Floating Bridge, Al Maktoum Bridge, and Al Shindagha Tunnel. This community is home to Al Fahidi Historical District/Neighbourhood, commonly known as Bastakiya Dubai.
This community has historical sites like Dubai Museum, The Ruler’s Court, Al Fahidi Historical District/Neighbourhood, and Al Shindagha Historical District. The community is also home to the Grand Mosque which features the city’s tallest minaret and also the blue-tiled Iranian Mosque.
Bur Dubai’s easy access to Deira on the one hand and Downtown Dubai on the other makes it a popular place to live, with quick and easy access to most areas of Dubai. Both the E11 Sheikh Zayed Road and the E66 Dubai-Al Ain Road pass through.
Proximity to Landmarks:
- 48 minutes drive to Al Maktoum International Airport
- 24 minutes drive to Palm Jumeirah
- 28 minutes drive to Ibn Battuta Mall
- 19 minutes drive to La Mer by Meraas
- 19 minutes drive to Mall of the Emirates
- 27 minutes drive to The Walk JBR
- 12 minutes drive to Dubai Mall
- 23 minutes drive to Burj Al Arab
- 30 minutes drive to Dubai International Airport
Hotels in Bur Dubai:
Some of the best hotels in Bur Dubai are:
- Grand Hyatt Dubai
- Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Jadaf Culture Village
- Park Regis Kris Kin Hotel
- Palazzo Versace Dubai
- Raffles Dubai
- XVA Art Hotel
Schools in Bur Dubai:
Nurseries in Bur Dubai are known to be some of the best in the area. Nurseries include Hope Montessori Nursery, Chubby Cheeks Nursery, British Orchard Nursery, and more in the community.
In terms of high schools, one can find Indian High School, Dubai Gem Private School, GEMS Winchester School, and St. Mary Catholic High School. For other notable institutes, one can find Lycée Francaise International.
Dubai Healthcare City is home to the prestigious Mohammed Bin Rashid University of Medicine and Health Sciences in terms of universities. Also, Knowledge Park and Dubai International Academic City near Dubai Silicon Oasis are a 25-minutes drive away.
Clinics and Hospitals:
Bur Dubai includes some of the top hospitals in Dubai like Mediclinic, Medeor, and several branches of Aster Clinic. There is even an Aster Hospital in the Al Mankhool area.
Leisure Activities and Notable Landmarks:
Families with children love Al Nasr Leisureland. On the contrary, tourists flock to the Bastakiya district (also known as Al Fahidi Historical District) and the historic Dubai Museum.
Zabeel Park is a popular tourist attraction and is home to Dubai Frame and Dubai Garden Glow. The Dubai Creek Golf and Yacht Resort is a popular spot amongst the city’s elite, it is located across the Creek in Deira.
Pros of living in Bur Dubai:
- All the landmarks are easily accessible from Bur Dubai.
- This is the perfect location for Expat Families
- Bur Dubai provides easy access to public transport
- This area caters to the multicultural population in Dubai
- There are a wide variety of properties in Bur Dubai
- It is home to a great number of recreational facilities
Cons of living in Bur Dubai:
- There is limited availability of parking spaces.
- Roads get very busy during peak hours.